Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

EBENEZER WELSH BAPTIST CHAPEL, TALBOT STREET, ABERAVON; PORT TALBOT

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 8861

Map Reference SS79SE

Grid Reference SS76569020

Unitary (Local) Authority Neath, Port Talbot

Old County Glamorgan

Community Aberavon

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Ebenezer Baptist Chapel was first built in 1821, rebuilt in 1836 and again in 1882, the later to the design of the architect George Morgan of Carmarthen. It is constructed in the Lombardic/Italinate style, with a curving porch decorated with a scalloped parapet, containing a pair of central doorways with trialgular pediments. Above is a large, central round-headed window with Florantine tracery, flanked by two smaller round-headed windows. Other decoration to the facade includes half-height pilasters and a gable decorated with mock machicolations. The present chapel, dated 1882, is now Grade 2 Listed.

RCAHMW, March 2010

Archive Records