Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BETHANIA CALVINISTIC METHODIST CHAPEL, WIND STREET, ABERDARE

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 8920

Map Reference SO00SW

Grid Reference SO00220249

Unitary (Local) Authority Rhondda, Cynon, Taff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Aberdare

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Bethania Methodist Chapel was built in 1853 to the design of architect Evan Griffiths of Aberdare. The chapel was rebuilt in 1884 by architect William Jones of Ton Pentre in the Romanesque style of the gable entry type. Bethania closed in the early 1990's and by 2009 stood very derelict with most of the interior detail removed. The school-room is a roofless ruin. The front elevation of the chapel remains intact with carved tympanum and datestone recording the building of Bethania in 1853 and rebuilding in 1884. Deterioration of the fabric shows that the core of the building belongs to the first phase with alterations to the windows and with the insertion of the gallery when the chapel was reordered in 1884. The chapel is set back from Wind Street and the gated and stepped approach to the chapel remains dignified.

In 2009 the chapel was recorded as being in a very derelict condition, and in February 2015 was demolished.

RCAHMW, February 2015.

Archive Records