Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SILOH WELSH CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL; NEW SILOH), SILOH ROAD; PENTRE-TREHARNE ROAD, GLANDWR; LANDORE

Site Details



NPRN 8990

Map Reference SS69NE

Grid Reference SS65709571

Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea

Old County Glamorgan

Community Landore

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Siloh Congregational Chapel was first built in 1829, enlarged in 1840 the interior rmodelled in 1862. The chapel was then rebuilt in 1878 in the Lombardic/Italian style with a gable-entry plane, to the design of architects Thomas Freeman of Brynhyfryd and Thomas Thomas of Landore. A Sunday school and vestry were also added in 1878. The chapel has seating for 1100 and is known for being a 'focal point for the musical life of the area'. A large Conacher organ was installed in 1926. Siloh is now Grade 2 Listed as an 'ambitious chapel with a strong exterior presence and a particularly fine and unspoilt interior'.

RCAHMW, May 2010

Digital Images

Archive Records