Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BETHESDA WELSH BAPTIST CHAPEL, BETHESDA STREET, SWANSEA

Site Details


NPRN 9000

Map Reference SS69SE

Grid Reference SS6578093900

Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea

Old County Glamorgan

Community Castle (Swansea)

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The first Bethesda Baptist Chapel opened in 1649 but was rebuilt in 1830, modified and enlarged in 1861 and rebuilt again in 1882.
It is a Neo-Classical chapel constructed of coursed Ashlar stone witha modern pantile roof and side elevations which have been rendered and painted. The front elevation has three bays with an elaborate Renaissance porch of segmental plan. The porch has three canted and richly carved doorpieces around a round-arched opening and segmental pediments decorated with dove tympana, foliage spandrels and finials, all supported on Corinthian pilasters. The main elevation has a pedimented frontispiece with a dentil cornice, flanked balustraded parapets and openwork domed turrets with finials to the corners. Below this is an entablature supported by paired pilasters on tall panelled pedestals. There is a triple opening in the pediment and three round-headed lights below a frieze inscribed BETHESDA BAPTIST CHAPEL. These windows have moulded architraves with keyblocks and linked impost bands, and there are panelled fields with roundels over the windows. In the smaller outer bays have similar but taller windows. The side elevations have four pilastered bays with windows on two levels. Bethesda is now Grade 2 Listed for its excellent interior.

RCAHMW 25th April 2008

Digital Images

Archive Records