Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MORIAH CALVINISTIC METHODIST CHAPEL AND SCHOOLROOM, GLEBE ROAD, CASLLWCHWR, LOUGHOR

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 9093

Map Reference SS59NE

Grid Reference SS57719811

Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea

Old County Glamorgan

Community Llwchwr

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Moriah Methodist Chapel was built in 1828, modified in 1836, 1842 and again in1849 with the addition of a gallery. The chapel was then rebuilt in 1898, by architect W. Jones of Rhondda, in the Romanesque style with an entrance in the gable end and a large arch in the facade. The schoolroom is probably converted from the original chapel.

This chapel has important historical associations with Evan Roberts and the religious revival of 1904-5 because it was in the schoolroom that Roberts addressed the youth meeting of 31 October 1904, marking the beginning of the Revival. Roberts is also buried at Moriah.

RCAHMW, July 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records