Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MELINGRIFFITH AND PENTYRCH RAILWAY

Site Details



NPRN 91548

Map Reference ST18SW

Grid Reference ST14278015

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Radyr

Type of Site RAILWAY

Broad Class TRANSPORT

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description The line was authorised as a tramroad in 1812 to connect Pentyrch ironworks (nprns 34111 & 34112) and Melingriffith tinplate works (nprn 40456). It was converted in 1871 to a standard-gauge railway and extended northwards to a junction with the Taff Vale Railway at ST 117843. A number of discarded stone sleeper blocks remain on the river bank. A (replacement) iron girder bridge (nprn 91549) carried the line across the River Taff near the sixteenth-century Cilynys farm. The line crossed the TVR on the level near the surviving original TVR Pentyrch railway station building of 1841.
Source: A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East Wales, AIA, 2003.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 12 August 2005 & 25 July 2013.

Associated Sites