Coflein will not be available on Friday 24th May between 2pm and 3pm because of maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.
MANCHESTER AND MILFORD RAILWAY; ABERYSTWYTH TO PENCADER, PENPONTBREN TO LLANGURIG
- Map Reference
- Grid Reference
- Unitary (Local) Authority
- Old County
- Type of Site
- Broad Class
- Post Medieval;19th Century
The southern section of the Manchester and Milford Railway opened throughout on 12 August 1867 from Pencader Junction (SN 4460 3674) to a terminus (SN 5855 8152) in Aberystwyth station (nprn 34676). It closed between Aberystwyth and Strata Florida station (nprn 41349) due to flooding at Llanilar on 14 December 1964; closed officially between Aberystwyth and Pont Llanio (nprn 41351) on 22 February 1965; closed between Pont Llanio and Aberaeron Junction 30 September 1970; closed between Aberaeron Junction and Carmarthen 1973.
The northern section of the railway (see nprn 410211) was built between Penpontbren Junction (nprn 301485) and a point about 1km to the west of Llangurig Station (nprn 404402) at SN 8994 8017. It was not opened for regular traffic; the track was lifted and the route abandoned in the late nineteenth century. A tunnel, 2km long, was planned to carry the railway from the Wye valley, west of Pant Mawr, to the Myherin valley and on towards Devil's Bridge; evidence of the approach cuttings is believed to be visible at SN 8167 8160 (northeast end) (nprn 406893) and SN 7996 8031 (southwest end) (nprn 406894); however, at both these locations the likely earthworks shown on the first edition OS 6in map are marked as 'Old Quarry'.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 04 February 2010.