Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ANGLO-PERSIAN OIL REFINERY;LLANDARCY OIL REFINERY;SKEWEN OIL REFINERY;BP OIL REFINERY, LLANDARCY

Site Details



NPRN 91695

Map Reference SS79NW

Grid Reference SS710955

Unitary (Local) Authority Neath, Port Talbot

Old County Glamorgan

Community Coedffranc

Type of Site OIL REFINERY

Broad Class INDUSTRIAL

Period 20th Century, Modern

Site Description Llandarcy Oil Refinery was built near Skewen by the Anglo-Persian Oil Company, the forerunner to British Petroleum, and opened in 1921/2. The refinery and nearby model village of Llandarcy (nprn 408156), provided to house the workforce, was named after the founder of the company, William Knox D'Arcy. The works was supplied with crude oil imported through the purpose-built Queen's Dock (nprn 419503) at Swansea Docks and was the first large commercial oil refinery to be established in Britain. In 1961, BP constructed a jetty below Fort Popton (nprn 300447) in Milford Haven and a pumping installation, known as Angle Bay Terminal (nprn 306321), within and close to the fort in order to pump oil to Llandarcy. The pumping station closed in 1985. The Llandarcy refinery complex eventually covered an area of around 400 hectares but closed in 1999.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 01 May 2008.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites