Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

COOPER'S WORKS, LLANFOIST, ABERGAVENNY

Site Details



NPRN 91761

Map Reference SO21SE

Grid Reference SO29301365

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Llanfoist Fawr

Type of Site AIRCRAFT FACTORY, FACTORY

Broad Class INDUSTRIAL

Period 20th Century, Modern

Site Description Cooper’s Works was a complex of three large buildings with additions. The north building (at grid reference SO 2930 1370) was built in 1943 and occupied by the Lang Pen Company, manufacturers of writing pens, for the production of aeroplane radiators for the war effort from October 1943 until October 1945. It is depicted on the Ordnance Survey 6in Provisional Edition map of 1944 as 'Engineering Works'. In early 1946, Cooper's Mechanical Joints, then based in the Midlands, took over the building. In 1961 the south building (at grid reference SO 2930 1360) was constructed, a large rectangular single storey shed with a cambered concrete shell north-lit roof, known as the ‘Silberkuhl’ building, after the architect. A third extension (at grid reference SO 2940 1360) was erected to the east, and known as the 'Top Factory’. The site was latterly in use for the manufacture of air and other filters for the automotive industry.
(Information from Brian Mayers, Personnel Manager, Cooper's Filters, 12 November 1999)
The Lang Pen Company also operated the World War Two munitions factory established inside Ruthin Gaol (nprn 23399).
The whole site has been demolished and cleared.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 05 November 2009.

Digital Images

Archive Records