Map Reference SN14NE
Grid Reference SN1778545909
Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion
Old County Cardiganshire
Type of Site CASTLE
Broad Class Defence
Site Description 1. There are substantial remains of the the castle known to have been rebuilt in 1240 and ordered to be demolished in 1645. These include a rather irregular enclosure, about 90m NE-SW by 44m, resting on steep slopes on the south-east, with the south-western end clothing natural crags above the Teifi. Portions of the curtain wall survive and in the tall embankment overlooking the bridge it is surmounted by a World War II pill-box.There are remains of three semi-circular towers, the largest & most elaborate incorporated into the early nineteenth century Castle Green House (NPRN 5249), as well as one, possibly two rectilinear 'bastions', at the north-east and south angles. Survey and excavation in 1984 suggested that early nineteenth century garden landscaping radically altered the area of the castle, destroying much of its surviving fabric. However, it appears that large parts of the current walled circuit follow the line of the medieval encience.
Source: Murphy & O'Mahony 1985 (Ceredigion 10.2), 189-218.
2. After a long campaign begun in 1999 to renovate and re-open Cardigan Castle, the monument was the focus of a £12M restoration programme which also included extensive excavations and research. The newly-renovated castle reopened to the public on 15th April 2015. The restoration and building works were documented during RCAHMW aerial reconnaissance on a number of flights.
T. Driver, RCAHMW, 2016
Associated with: Cardigan Castle garden: NPRN: 409005