Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

TALLEY ABBEY;ABBEY OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN AND ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, TALLEY

Site Details


NPRN 92750

Map Reference SN63SW

Grid Reference SN6328132772

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Talley

Type of Site ABBEY

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description Half of a shattered 26m high tower and the footings of the church mark the site of the former Premonstratensian abbey. The tower rises above the southern end of the Talley Lakes, clearly visible from the castle set on the isthmus between them (NPRN 303898). The Abbey was founded for Premonstrtensian or White Cannons in 1184-9. After a chequered early history the Abbey achieved a quiet prosperity before being disolved in 1536. The Abbey was initially endowed with much of the wealth of the ancient monastery of Llandeilo Fawr and derived much of its income from the cannons' spiritualities. The abbey had a number of associated chapels, one of which is thought to have been Dol Hywel (NPRN 417756), whose site now lies beneath the Usk Reservoir (NPRN 413312). The chapelry of Llanwrda and its neighbouring benifice containing the chapel of St Sadwrn's (now a parish church), Llansadwrn (NPRN 101882) were conferred upon the abbey by Rhys ap Gruffudd (the Lord Rhys) in 1176. St Teilo's Church;Llandeilo Fawr, Llandeilo (NPRN 100867) was appropriated by the abbey around 1215, but the grant was disputed and the abbot and convent ordered to pay 10 marks a year for the churches of Llandeilo Fawr and Llanegwad.

The abbey church was conceived as a magnificent building with an eight bay aisled nave, crossing and presbytery, however, straitened circumstances reduced the nave to a relatively modest size when the church was completed, probably in the earlier thirteenth century. The choir and presbystery were retained to serve as a parish church after 1536 and were not completely forsaken until 1772-3 when the present church of St Michael was built (NPRN 101870). The ruins are shown as partially cleared on the OS County series 2nd edition (Carmarthen. XXV.8 1906) and further clearance and consolidation followed from 1933 when the remains were taken into state care.

Sources include:
Cadw, Guide to Strata Florida Abbey: Talley Abbey, revised 3rd edition (2007)

John Wiles 26.01.08

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites