Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DAVID'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL CHURCH, CHARLES STREET, CARDIFF

Site Details



NPRN 9311

Map Reference ST17NE

Grid Reference ST1856976429

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Castle (Cardiff)

Type of Site CATHEDRAL, CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St David's Cathedral was built between 1884-1887 by Pugin and Pugin, architects. It was built as a Roman Catholic parish church and raised to cathedral status 1920; the church was gutted after incendiary bomb attack in 1941. The restoration was carried out in the 1950s by F R Bates, Son, and Price and the church was reopened in March 1959. It is a Gothic building of serious, severe Early English design; built of coursed rock-faced Pennant stone with red sandstone ashlar dressings.

Reference: Cadw listed buildings database.

Digital Images

Archive Records