Skenfrith Castle’s original earth-and-timber form was built by the Normans during their settlement of England in order to protect communication routes between Hereford and England, forming a triangle of defences with Grosmont Castle (NPRN 93388) and White Castle (NPRN 94853).
The earthworks were later levelled in order to make way for the red sandstone castle begun in the late twelfth century to prepare for possible Welsh attack, in a design which was aimed both at military efficiency and domestic comfort. The castle is sub-rectangular, with a circular tower at each corner, a circular keep at the centre, and a hall and range of domestic apartments to the west, enclosed within a 12m wide moat.
During the fifteenth century repairs were carried out at Skenfrith but by 1538 it had fallen into disuse, and passed through a number of hands before being given to the National Trust. It is now maintained by Cadw.
Source: Knight, J.K. 2000. The Three Castles: Cadw Guide (Second Edition)
K Steele, RCAHMW, 3 November 2008