Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

EBENEZER GOSPEL HALL, CARDIFF

Site Details



NPRN 9351

Map Reference ST17SE

Grid Reference ST1828274777

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Grangetown

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Ebenezer Gospel Hall was opened on 5th October 1899 at a cost of £1,250.00. The chapel is stone built in the Sub-Clasical style with a gable-entry plan and large pane flat-headed windows. A wooden terracing gallery was erected (and later extended) in the basement, to accommodate a greater number of children attending the Sunday School. In 1912 it was decided to hold the first Cardiff Missionary Conference in Ebenezer and the present semi-circular platform was built to accommodate the speakers. During the Second World War the basement of Ebenezer was used as an unofficial air raid shelter. The Hall was refurbished after a fire in 1985 which destroyed the gallery.

RCAHMW, June 2010

Digital Images

Archive Records