Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

TWYN-Y-PARC PROMONTORY FORT

Site Details


NPRN 93864

Map Reference SH36SE

Grid Reference SH3685564965

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Bodorgan

Type of Site PROMONTORY FORT

Broad Class DEFENCE

Period Iron Age

Site Description NAR SH36SE1

A later Prehistoric style fort formed by strong ramparts cut across the narrow neck of a long and straggling cliff-girt promontory.
The promontory is roughly 350m deep and at most 100m wide. It has an area of about eight acres or 3.2ha, although most of this is beset with crags and only the eastern part, immediately within the ramparts, is though suitable for settlement.
The main rampart, a massive 2.4m high bank, runs across the 70m wide neck with an entrance gap at the northern end. There are two outer ramparts or ruined walls, on the north side of the neck and only one to the south where a crag rises on the landward side. The entrance winds between these outer ramparts.
Desultory diggings in the late 1930s produced rim sherds of a third-fourth century Roman mortaria, an iron spearhead and a crucible fragment bearing traces of copper. These finds were made in the area immediately within the ramparts.

Sources: RCAHM Anglesey Inventory (1937), 87-8
Hughes in Archaeologia Cambrensis 94 (1939), 98-9
Transactions of the Anglesey Antiquarian Society & Field Club for 1945, 21-2
Lynch 'Prehistoric Anglesey' (1970), 232-3

John Wiles 10.08.07

Digital Images

Archive Records