Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DAVIDS CATHEDRAL CLOSE, PORTH-Y-TWR

Site Details



NPRN 94102

Map Reference SM72NE

Grid Reference SM7520425363

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community St Davids and the Cathedral Close

Type of Site GATEHOUSE

Broad Class DEFENCE

Period Medieval

Site Description Porth-y-Twr, or 'Tower Gate', forms the principal entrance from the borough of St Davids into the Cathedral Close. The defensive gate was probably added to a late thirteenth century two storey octagonal bell tower in the fourteenth century. The bell stage has large pointed openings with hoodmoulds and there are studed plank doors to the lower stage. The gateway and southern tower, to the south of the bell tower, were constructed from rougher rubble stone. The south end is rounded and the eastern front has a big segmental pointed arch over the roadway. The tower was restored in 1929 and several early Christian crosses and inscribed stones (NPRN 401305) are housed in a lapidarium in the gatehouse.

B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 23 September 2004.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites