Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DOGMAELS ABBEY

Site Details


NPRN 94164

Map Reference SN14NE

Grid Reference SN1640445853

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community St Dogmaels

Type of Site ABBEY

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description The medieval Abbey of St Mary at St Dogmaels was founded in 1115 by the FitzMartin family of Cemais and was of the Order of Tiron. Caldey Priory, Caldey Island (NPRN 245) was a daughter house to St Dogmael's. established in The abbey was re-modelled in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries and in the sixteenth century the northern transept was given a fan vaulted roof.

Substantial remains of the abbey church survive, including the western end wall, the north wall, northern transept and the eastern end walls of the crypt. Extensive monastic buildings also survive to the south of the Abbey, and a detached building of the late thirteenth century, possibly an infirmary chapel or infirmary is located to the south-east.

RCAHMW, 3rd October 2007.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites