Map Reference SN21NW
Grid Reference SN20791816
Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire
Old County Carmarthenshire
Type of Site ABBEY
Broad Class Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Site Description NAR SN21NW9
Founded c. 1140-44, the monks were certainly present on this site by 1151 and flourished under the patronage of the Lord Rhys. Whitland became the mother house of seven other Welsh abbeys and two in Ireland. What remains today are stone foundations and piers of the church and upstanding walls of the claustral ranges incorporated into the walls of the 19th C walled garden to the S. There are also parts of a possile gatehouse to the west. The Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society carried out excavations in 1926 when the church plan was recovered.