Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

PILL PRIORY, HUBBERSTON;PRIORY OF ST BUDOC AND THE BLESSED VIRGIN

Site Details


NPRN 94973

Map Reference SM90NW

Grid Reference SM90270726

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Milford Haven

Type of Site PRIORY

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Medieval

Site Description NAR SM90NW7

Priory of the Order of Tiron, dedicated to St Budoc and the Blessed Virgin: thought to have been founded in the 12th century, possibly as early as about 1113, or as late as 1200; dissolved 1536.
The remains of the Priory are set on generally level ground at the junction of two valleys, at the head of Hubberston Pill: recording & survey work, 1996 & 1999, have provided a reasonably clear outline of the Priory, which centred on a cruciform church, at least 40m east to west overall, comprising an aisleless nave & chancel, north & south trancepts & a central crossing tower, with claustral buildings on the south & burials recorded on the north: the visible remains comprise the chancel arch & broken north trancept arch, with elements of the central crossing tower above: the modern residence & public house, 'the Steps' & Priory Inn (Nprn22297, 30095) incorporate parts of the eastern cloister range in their fabric, 'the Steps' being thought to be based on the Priory chapter house: a pond bay to the north has been associated with the medieval Priory.

Source: Ludlow 2002 (Medieval Archaeology 46), 41-80.

J.Wiles 10.02.05

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites