Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CILGERRAN CASTLE

Site Details



NPRN 95037

Map Reference SN14SE

Grid Reference SN19494313

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Cilgerran

Type of Site CASTLE

Broad Class DEFENCE

Period Medieval

Site Description Cilgerran Castle stands overlooking Cilgerran Gorge and the Afon Teifi, some 500m east of St Llawddog’s Church (NPRN 402530). The castle building is thought to derive from the 12th century, although the present remains are thought to date from the 13th century onwards. The ruins, which mostly surround the inner ward, include two circular towers on the south side joined by a curtain wall. There is also an early thirteenth century gatehouse to the west which may have housed the chapel on the first floor. The western curtain wall also survives as well as the partial remains of the fourteenth century north-west tower. The castle was mostly ruinous by 1325 although repairs were carried out in 1388-90.

In 1109, during an attack on Cilgerran, Nest, the wife of the Norman Lord, was abducted by Owain, son of the prince of Powys.

RCAHMW, December 2008

Digital Images

Archive Records