DIN LLIGWY SETTLEMENT, MOELFRE
Map Reference SH48NE
Grid Reference SH4970286134
Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey
Old County Anglesey
Type of Site SETTLEMENT
Broad Class Unassigned
Period Iron Age
Site Description Din Lligwy is a later Prehistoric type walled settlement set on the summit of a limestone plateau close to its precipitous northern edge. The internal buildings were cleared from 1905 onwards when significant quanties of Roman material were recovered, mostly of the late third-fourth century AD. The remains have been consolidated for public display.
The enclosure describes an irregular pentagon about 52m east-west by 46m. The drystone wall is about 1.0m wide and stands up to 2.0m high, including many large orthostatic stone slabs. The various internal buildings have similar walls. These include two roundhouses, 6.5-7.3m internal diameter and originally freestanding, and up to seven rectangular buildings, the largest 14.7m by 5.7m, all but one set against the enclosure wall. A further rectangular building rests against the outside of the south-west wall beside the original entrance, a simple gap or doorway. There are further settlement remains around the enclosure to the north, south and west, where they extended over a distance of 82m and include at least one small roundhouse. Exploration of these failed to produce Roman material and some may pre-date the main enclosure although others may be later.
The finds included a scattering of tile fragments, including at least one example of both imbrices (curved tile) and box or flue tile. There are insufficient of these to demonstrate that any of the buildings were tiled. A similar situation occurs at Parciau, some 1.5km to the south (NPRN 95548).
Sources: Baynes in Archaeologia Cambrensis 8 (1908), 183-210
85 (1930), 375-93
RCAHM Anglesey Inventory (1937), 133-5
Yates & Longley CADW Guide to Anglesey 3rd edition (2004), 30
John Wiles 13.08.07