Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

PENMON PRIORY (AUGUSTINIAN)

Site Details


NPRN 95543

Map Reference SH68SW

Grid Reference SH6303280729

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Llangoed

Type of Site PRIORY

Broad Class Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Penmon priory is thought to be an early medieval foundation. It was probably an Augustinian house by 1237 when it was granted to the Prior and cannons of Priestholm (NPRN 527), that prior shifting his seat to Penmon. The church became parochial following the Priory's dissolution in 1537.

The priory consists of a cruciform church (NPRN 301734) with a cloister on the south side, and is the one notable example of Romanesque architecture in nort-eastern Wales. The south claustral range is well preserved. This is a thirteenth century two storey building above cellars with the refectory on the ground floor and the dormitory above. At the east end is a two storey sixteenth century block with a warming room on the lower level below a kitchen, with attics above. This was occupied into the eighteenth century (NPRN 310192). There are no remains of an eastern range. A sixteenth or seventeenth century house has been inserted into the west range, possibly incorporating earlier fabric (NPRN 15844). The house is associated with the contemporary dovecote (NPRN 31079) and later farm buildings (NPRN 31077-8). A holy well lies to the north of the church (NPRN 32173).

The priory lies in an enclave within Penmon Park (NPRN 265404), which may originally have been a monastic feature, as might the pool or pond north-east of the church. A cross of about 1000AD once stood within the park (NPRN 57813), but was removed to the church in 1977.

Source: RCAHM Anglesey Inventory (1937), 119-123
Source: Haslam, Orbach and Voelcker (2009), The Buildings of Wales: Gwynedd. Pevsner Architectural Guide, page 205.

RCAHMW October 2009


3. WALLPAINTING:
Kitchen: on the plaster of the upper part of the east wall is some of the original wallpainting of a conventional foliated diaper pattern in reddish brown colour. Formal foliage pattern.
Source: RCAHMW Wallpaintings database.
S.L.Evans, RCAHMW, 08.09.2004.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites