Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST PETER'S CATHOLIC CHURCH, USK STREET, BARGOED

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 9570

Map Reference SO10SW

Grid Reference SO14910016

Unitary (Local) Authority Caerphilly

Old County Glamorgan

Community Bargoed

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St Peter's Catholic church, Bargoed was built in 1903 as a 'Roman Catholic chapel'. In 1933-34 the church was modernised including a new extended sanctuary of the east side of the building and a new pulpit. By the early 1970s major repairs were needed to the fabric of the Usk Road building, besides modernising the interior to cater for the liturgical changes brought in Vatican II. The building was renovated, with an enlarged sanctuary with the altar moved forward to a more central position, new sacristies, a toilet, a gallery and new suspended ceilings and lighting.

Ref: http://www.pontypriddrcdeanery.org.uk/churches/bargoed/brief-history.html