CAERWENT, ROYAL NAVAL PROPELLANT FACTORY; RNPF CAERWENT
Map Reference ST49SE
Grid Reference ST475915
Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire
Old County Monmouthshire
Type of Site EXPLOSIVES FACTORY, MILITARY TRAINING SITE
Broad Class Industrial;Defence
Site Description Construction of Caerwent Royal Naval Propellant Factory started in 1939 and it was fully operational by 1941 for production of cordite for the Navy. The site had been chosen for the availability of water from the Severn Tunnel. It covers an area about 3km east to west by 2km and is one of the largest such military sites in Britain, covering over 600 hectares. The factory was taken over by the United States army in 1967 as a munitions store and closed in 1993. Many of the buildings and bunkers survive and are still in use today as part of a major training area (one of three in Wales) capable of sustaining up to 1,000 troops. There are over 400 buildings and bunkers on the site, an operating railway (that is connected to the main line) and a comprehensive road system, for logistics exercises and driver training.
B.A.Malaws & C.Parry, RCAHMW, 4 August 2011.
Source: A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East Wales, AIA, 2003