Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, STANLEY ROAD, ABERYSTWYTH

Site Details



NPRN 97027

Map Reference SN58SE

Grid Reference SN5873181659

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Aberystwyth

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 20th Century, 19th Century

Site Description Holy Trinity Church, set between Trinity and Stanley Roads, is by J. H. Middleton, the son of John Middleton of Cheltenham, who steered the firm into the Perpendicular Gothic already espoused by Bodley in the 1870s. The church was built in stages. The nave and gabled north-west porch date to 1883-1886, with the crossing and transepts datng to 1887-1888. The chancel was constructed in 1987-9, but the intended crossing tower with pyramidal roof remained unfinished, the intended spire never materialised.
The church is built of bull-nosed rubble masonry with freestone dressings, quoins, plinth band and stringcourses etc, stepped buttresses, and slate roofs with tiled cresting, crucifix finial to west gable, others broken. It is characterised by long traceried windows, more elaborate in the transepts, and with the western pair divided by a buttress. The interior is broad and aisleless with hammerbeam trusses carried low on corbels, the arches of the crossing ornate with shafting and Perpendicular panelling, and the chancel roof with niches under the corbels. The chancel floor is of black and white marble. The pulpit, an arts and crafts design in wood, dates to 1889, the stalls date to 1905. The reredos is an elaborate, carved and painted wood triptych under a crocketed spire by W.Ellery Anderson (1932).
Sources:
Extracts from Cadw Listing description.
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion (2006), p.
Victorian Society tour notes, 1999.

RCAHMW, 3 July 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records