Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CHAPEL BUILDING, ST TUDWAL'S ISLAND (EAST)

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 97198

Map Reference SH32NW

Grid Reference SH3422625919

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Caernarfonshire

Community Llanengan

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description NAR SH32NW4

A short lived monastery set up on St Tudwal's Island (NPRN 33027), in 1886-7, adapted an earlier house or cottage as its chapel. This had been built over the remains of a medieval Priory (NPRN 401811) and is thought to include some medieval fabric. The building later fell into dereliction but was restored as a holiday home in the later twentieth century.
The footings of a medieval hall can be seen a little way to the north (NPRN 26745).

Source: CADW Listed Buildings Database

John Wiles 01.08.07

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites