Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ALL SAINTS' (3) CHURCH, CHURCH ROAD, SOUTHSEA

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 97239

Map Reference SJ35SW

Grid Reference SJ3026051772

Unitary (Local) Authority Wrexham

Old County Denbighshire

Community Broughton

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 20th Century

Site Description The present Church of All Saints is located on the north side of the B5430 (Church Road) at its junction with the B5101 (Southsea Road). This is the former church hall, which was consecrated for use as a church on 15 April 1984. There have been two earlier buildings, a few yards away, on the opposite side of Church Road at the north end of the present graveyard. The first one was licensed and opened for divine service on St. Andrew's Day, 1884. In 1926, it was decided to demolish the original building, and replace it with a larger building on the same site. It is said that this was done by building the new church around the old one - which was then demolished.
By the early 1980s, this second church had become unsafe. The Bishop of St. Asaph deconsecrated it on 15 April 1984, and it was demolished soon afterwards.
The present church building, originally the Sunday School, was built at some time between 1873 and 1899. It is built of squared rock-faced rubble under tile roofs. Aligned north-south, it consists of a long hall, presumably now used as nave and chancel, bellcote overhanging south gable, lean-to porch on the south-east, vestry (?) under a catslide roof on the north-west, and two adjacent gabled spaces projecting from the east long wall.
Sources:
http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/eglwysi/southsea.htm
Google Street View, May 2011.

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 22 September 2015

Associated Sites