Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BEULAH WELSH CALVINISTIC METHODIST CHAPEL;CAPEL-Y-GROES; THE ROUND CHAPEL, GROES; TOLLGATE PARK,

Site Details



NPRN 9858

Map Reference SS78NE

Grid Reference SS78398743

Unitary (Local) Authority Neath, Port Talbot

Old County Glamorgan

Community Margam

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Beulah Methodist Chapel was first built in 1838 to the designs of the architect C.R.M.Talbot and builder T.Jenkin, both of Margam Abbey. This chapel was dismantled and rebuilt in 1974 in order to make way for the M4 motorway. The chapel is Romanesque in style with an octagonal plan. The central bay of the entrance has a simple round-headed doorway over which is a plain round window. The angled corners of the entrance are pilastered, and the roof is surmounted by an octagonal bellcote. Beulah (also known as the Round Chapel) is now Grade 2 Listed as the only surviving octagonal chapel in Wales.

RCAHMW, July 2010

Archive Records