Coflein is changing. We are delighted to introduce new ways to search and display results that improve your ability to discover more about the archaeology and heritage of Wales. You can now produce distribution maps of your searches, and download them in a .CSV or Google Maps .KML file. You can also view some of the best images from our archive in the new Galleries section.
Coflein has been designed to be fully accessible on your phone or tablet. Our commitment to continually improve our services means that there are more great features on the way, with improvements to the mapping system coming soon. Please use the Feedback button to tell us what you think.
Searching our entire catalogue by keyword
1. In the top right hand corner you can carry out a quick search by Keyword, NPRN or Catalogue Number, select All from the dropdown and press the Return key or the Search icon (magnifying glass) to return two sets of results.
2. The results are split into two sections – Sites and Archives. The tabs allow you to easily switch between the two.
3. On any results screen you can refine your search by clicking refine.
4. On any results screen you can filter your results by using the dropdowns appropriate to the section you are in.
(example; search for “Gaer Fawr”)
Searching our Site records directly in two ways
1. In the top right hand corner you can carry out a quick search by Keyword or NPRN number, select Site from the dropdown and press the Return key or the Search icon (magnifying glass) to return a list of results.
2. Click on Sites in the main menu. On this page you can search by Site Name, NPRN (National Primary Record Number), Site Type, Broad Class, Free Text, Period, Community, Unitary (Local) Authority, Old County or NGR (National Grid Reference) or combine some of these elements to create a more specific search.
1. Site Records are now structured in a way that makes all data available on a single page.
2. A static map image of the site location is displayed at the top of the page, with a link to the record in Coflein Mapping displayed beneath.
3. There are quick links displayed at the top left of the record so you can easily jump to the part of the record you are interested in.
4. If there are related Digital Images, the first 16 will show here (click View All to open a gallery page of all digital images for that site). By clicking on a thumbnail a larger image is displayed underneath along with some brief details.
5. If there are related Archive Records then they will be listed on the Site Records page (again, click View All to open a complete list of Archive Records associated with this Site).
6. If there are Associated Sites related to the site record you are currently viewing, these will be listed
7.If Online Resources are available, such as digitised reports or exhibition panels, these are listed at the bottom of the page.
Site Name: Enter the name of the site you are searching for
NPRN: If you know Coflein´s unique reference number for a site, enter it here
Site Type: Enter the type of site(s) you are looking for
Broad Class: Enter the class of site(s) you are looking for
Free Text Search: Enter text, e.g. `thatch´
Period: Enter the period the site derives from
Community: Which community is the site situated in
Unitary (Local) Authority: Which Council Area is the site situated in
Old County: Which Old County is the site situated in
NGR: National Grid Reference (e.g. ST44429874)
Searching our Archive directly in two ways
1.In the top right hand corner you can carry out a quick search by Keyword or Catalogue Number, select Archive from the dropdown and press the Return key or the Search icon (magnifying glass) to return a list of results.
2.Click on Archive in the main menu. On this page you can search by Collection Name, Reference, Date, Originator, Accession Number, Medium, Catalogue Number, NPRN and Free Text, or combine some of these elements to create a more specific search.
1. Coflein allows you to search the National Monuments Record of Wales archive, and will return information on the huge range of collections and items held within the archive.
2. Only digital items can be viewed online. Non-digitised items can be viewed in our Aberystwyth Search Room by appointment.
3. If the record is of an item that is an Online Resource e.g. a PDF file of a Digital Publication, a copy can be downloaded to work with offline.
4. If an Archive record is related to a Site record then that will be listed at the bottom of the screen under Archive Associated Sites Details. Clicking on the NPRN or Site Name of a site will take you to that site’s full record.
Collection Name: Select from the list of collections held by the NMRW.
Reference: If you know the collection reference number for the collection, group or item enter it here.
Date: The year in which a collection, group or item was created.
Originator: The name of the originator or creator of a collection, group or item.
Accession Number: If you know the accession number of the collection, group or item enter it here.
Medium: Select the medium of a collection, group or item from the list.
Catalogue Number: If you know Coflein´s unique reference number for a site, enter it here
NPRN: If you know the NPRN (National Primary Record Number) of the site or monument for which you require records, enter it here.
Free Text: Enter text, e.g. `thatch´