Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

MARCONI LONG WAVE TRANSMITTING STATION, WAUNFAWR TRANSMITTING STATION, PLAS-Y-CELYN, CEFN DU

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 405838

Cyfeirnod Map SH56SW

Cyfeirnod Grid SH5331860770

Awdurdod Lleol Gwynedd 

Hen Sir Caernarfon

Cymuned Waunfawr

Math o Safle GORSAF RADIO

Dosbarth Cyffredinol FFYRDD

Cyfnod 20fed Ganrif, Modern

Disgrifiad o´r Safle The remains of the first successful Marconi long wave transmitting station are situated on the west-northwest slopes of Cefn Du, to the west of Llanberis. Much of the complex has survived on the hillside due in most part to the rugged nature of the concrete constructed footings. The site is extensive, ranging up to 2 sq. km in area. It was approached from the west, from the village of Waunfawr. The transmitter house still exists at the end of the entry drive and on the high ground to the east, there are the substantial remains of numerous radio mast bases, access tracks and ancillary buildings. The station was in use between 1912 and 1938 and was for many years the most important long wave station in Britain, handling imperial and international communications. The receiving station (nprn 421024) was at Tywyn.
Source: Williams, H., Marconi and his Wireless Stations in Wales, Gwasg Carreg Gwalch, Llanrwst, 1999.
RCAHMW, 2009.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol

Safleoedd Cysylltiedig