Hygyrchedd

Font Size cy

100% 150% 200%

background colour cy

cy Cyferbynnedd
Cau Ailosod

LLANELLTYD BRIDGE;PONT LLANELLTYD, NEAR DOLGELLAU

Manylion y Safle

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 95424

Cyfeirnod Map SH71NW

Cyfeirnod Grid SH7180319317

Awdurdod Lleol Gwynedd 

Hen Sir Meirionnydd

Cymuned Llanelltyd

Math o Safle PONT FFORDD

Dosbarth Cyffredinol CLUDIANT

Cyfnod 18fed Ganrif, Ôl-Ganoloesol

Disgrifiad o´r Safle Llanelltyd Bridge is a stone construction which carried the former A470 trunk road over the Afon Mawddach; it has five elliptical arches and triangular cutwaters and is thought to date to the second quarter of the eighteenth century. According to Williams ('Cymer Abbey' in Archaeologia Cambrensis 130 (1981), pp36-58), an earlier bridge was mentioned in the later seventeenth century; certainly the crossing would have been an important one for general trade and for the monks of nearby Cymer Abbey (nprn 95420) and there are references to a bridge being in existence near the abbey in 1400. A postcard of 1906 shows a timber and stone weir on the western or downstream side of the bridge, presumably this was to prevent scouring of the piers. Increasing traffic and the narrowness of the bridge prompted the erection of a Bailey bridge on the eastern side but this was removed when a new concrete bridge was constructed in the 1980s to carry the road on a new alignment some 150m to the west. The old bridge no longer carries motor traffic but is in use as a footbridge.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 18 August 2009.

Delweddau Digidol

Chofnodion Archifol