Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SARDIS WELSH INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, BRYN-Y-FEDWEN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 11425

Map Reference SJ01NW

Grid Reference SJ03381882

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Llanwddyn

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Sardis Independent Chapel was first built in 1822 and then extended in 1896. The present chapel, dated 1822, is built in the Simple Gothic style with red brick walls, a slate-roof and gable-entry. A plaque in the gable apex is inscribed "Sardis/eglwys annibynwyr/ adeiladwyd 182?1/ Helaethwyd 1896". There is a Venetian style window, but with a pointed head, over a slate-roofed red-brick porch. The vestry is attached at the rear and under the same roofline. The Chapel house, formerly manse, is also at the rear. The double-fronted facade of stone has yellow brick dressings and there is a corrugated metal gable facing the road. Inside the chapel, there are three blocks of open bench seats of likely early twentieth century origin. The ceiling has partly sloping sides and exposed trusses.

RCAHMW, December 2010

Digital Images

Archive Records