Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SILOH CHAPEL (WELSH CALVINISTIC METHODIST), LAKEFIELD ROAD, LLANELLI

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 12091

Map Reference SS59NW

Grid Reference SS5049899872

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Carmarthenshire

Community Llanelli

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Siloh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel was built in 1878 in the Classical style with a gable entry plan. This expensively-built chapel has a very ambitious and impressive stone show-facade dominating Lakefield Road and designed to be seen to advantage down the length of Heol Siloh opposite. There are six classical half-columns, or pilasters, attached to the neo-classical facade, with tiers of acanthus leaves and scrolled volutes, topping the columns. These columns support the classical entablature (an elaborate lintel), carrying the base of the large triangular pediment of the gable with its central wheel roundel, which also acted as the ventilator for the substantial attic space. This fine detailing is all executed in pink sandstone set within a mass of coursed Pennant sandstone rubble, also used for the much plainer sides and rear of the building. The Italian Renaissance influence on the design is shown by the Florentine tracery or arches at the top of the two central windows, where two tall semicircular lights are capped by a central roundel commonly found in fifteenth-century Florentine palaces. The architect was J.W. Jones of Llandeilo. The seating capacity of 800 (with 150 in the adjoining school-room) meant that despite the elaborate façade this was an average urban chapel in size and the second largest Calvinistic Methodist Chapel in Llanelli after Capel Newydd. Siloh is now Grade 2 Listed despite being converted into Lakefield Community Centre in 1980, by architects W. Griffiths & Son.

RCAHMW, May 2011

Digital Images

Archive Records