Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST CLEMENT'S CHURCH, NEATH ROAD, BRITON FERRY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 13655

Map Reference SS79SW

Grid Reference SS7426094473

Unitary (Local) Authority Neath, Port Talbot

Old County Glamorgan

Community Briton Ferry

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St Clement's is located in the centre of Briton Ferry, on the corner of Neath Road and Grandison Street, set within a railed churchyard.
It was built in 1864-66 to designs of J.Prichard, diocesan architect. It is a geometrical style church of cruciform plan with apsidal chancel, nave, aisles under outshut roofs, small chapel and organ projections east of the transepts, and central porch. The walls are of coursed rubble incorporating bands of thick and thin stones and with lighter Bath stone dressings, and a slate roof is behind coped gables. The nave and chancel are of equal height and have a gabled bellcote between them, which has two-arched openings with bells and central colonettes.
Inside, the piers and arcades are all of timber, interlocking with the arch-braced roofs of nave and aisles; arches to chancel and transepts are of stone. The sanctuary is paved with decorative tiles, and red marble steps. The font is octagonal on a square base and round stem, and has quatrefoils with relief mouldings around the bowl. The polygonal pulpit has four panels with cusped arches on marble shafts, with figures of Peter, Clement and Paul, while the fourth panel is blank. The marble reredos in the polygonal apse has intermediate and terminal polygonal marble piers surmounted by angels, and castellated cresting. Numerous windows have stained glass.
The porch has stone benches, an arched-brace roof and a south door with a two-centred arch without capitals.

Sources: extracts from: Cadw Listing database; J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Glamorganshire (1995), p.163-4

RCAHMW, 28 November 2014

Archive Records