Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

LLANTISILIO CHAIN BRIDGE, BERWYN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 24054

Map Reference SJ14SE

Grid Reference SJ1987743228

Unitary (Local) Authority Denbighshire

Old County Denbighshire

Community Llantysilio

Type of Site ROAD BRIDGE, SUSPENSION BRIDGE

Broad Class TRANSPORT

Period 20th Century, Modern

Site Description A chain or suspension bridge has spanned the River Dee at this location since 1817. The first bridge was erected by Exuperius Pickering to transport coal, lime and bar iron from the Ellesmere Canal across the River Dee to the Holyhead Road (A5), avoiding the tolls on Llangollen Bridge (NPRN 24051). The first bridge became dilapidated in the 1870s and was reconstructed around 1876 on the same design as the first. The second bridge was damaged by flooding in February 1928. Henry Robertson the owner of the bridge decided to erect a new bridge on the same lines as the Menai suspension bridge, reusing the old chains. The wrought iron chains that previously supported the decking from below were re-used becoming the new suspension chains above the bridge. Brymbo Steel Works rebuilt the bridge in 1929 and it was in use until 1984 when it was closed on safety grounds. It is believed that the chains on the bridge are the oldest known surviving suspension chains still in use.

Rachel Leung, RCAHMW, 1 April 2010.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites

Online Resources