Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

LLWYN-CYNTEFIN;LLWYNCYNTEFIN MANOR, SENNYBRIDGE

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 25821

Map Reference SN92NW

Grid Reference SN9239729411

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Brecknockshire

Community Maescar

Type of Site MANSION

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description NAR SN92NW7

1. A gentry house built in 1634 for Rev Hugh Penry, whose arms are set above the porch door. It declined in importance in the nineteenth century, when it was leased out.
The original house consisted of a hall and parlour, with a two storey gabled porch giving access to the passage at the lower end of the hall. This section of the house is now of two storeys with attics. A projecting parlour wing, of three storeys above a cellar, was added in the early eighteenth century. There is a nineteenth century, two storey, range on the east, balancing the main facade, and twentieth century service buildings to the rear.
OS County series (Brecknock. XXVI.12 1886) shows garden enclosures north and south of the house, the southern crossed by a carriage drive and turning circle. Farm, or service buildings are ranged about a yard to the west, across the public road. Tree planting is depicted in fields to the east and south-east.

Sources: Jones and Smith 'Houses of Breconshire V' in Brycheiniog XIII (1968-9), 1-85 [18-23]
CADW Listed Buildings Database (14899)

J.Wiles, NMR 29 April 2002

2. Llwyncyntefin is situated on the northern edge of Sennybridge, north of the Usk and on the east side of the minor road leading to Pentre-Bach. It is a 16th /17th century gentry house with a two-storey random-coursed stone porch with a gable and a trefoil headed stone window in the attic. It has a flat arched entrance with a chamfered, rounded doorway. It retains the original door with a wicket. Above the doorway are the arms of Hugh Penry and the date of 1634. Penry bought a building which had been on this site for many generations in this year and commenced building his new house. There are wooden ovolo-moulded windows on this and on the bay to the left. The hall, with a through-passage behind this, has plain late-17th century plasterwork between the beams. On the left hand side there is a 3-storey 17th century wing, rebuilt in the local early-18th century style. It has a coved eaves cornice and a hipped sprocketted slate roof. It has four-light new mullion and transomed windows. The main block is lower and faced in rough cast. There has been much Victorian alteration to the house.
(Source: CADW listed buildings database, 22 November1973; R Haslam, The Buildings of Wales: Powys, pp. 370-1; Brycheiniog 1968-9, Jones and Smith, 'The Houses of Breconshire', pp. 18-23).
Ian Archer, RCAHMW, 11th March 2005

Digital Images

Archive Records