Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

LIVERPOOL AND HOLYHEAD TELEGRAPH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 300822

Map Reference SH28SW

Grid Reference SH217834

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Trearddur

Type of Site SIGNALLING STRUCTURE

Broad Class COMMUNICATIONS

Period Post Medieval

Site Description The location of the mast of the old telegraph station.

Event and Historical Information:
The Liverpool and Holyhead Telegraph consisted of 11 stations, 8 of which were in Wales. It was opened in 1827 as a one mast system. It was improved and rebuilt as a two mast system in 1841, and replaced by the electric telegraph in 1861. The first message sent (throughout the system) was on 5 November 1827 and last signal sent 24 November 1860.

Sources include:
Large, F, 1998, Faster than the Wind: The Liverpool to Holyhead Telegraph, Avid Publications
Historic Admiralty Chart 1473-A2, RCAHMW Digital Collections sourced from UK Hydrographic Office (published 1843)
Wilson, G, 1976, The Old Telegraphs

RCAHMW, October 2011.

Associated Sites