Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

PANT MAWR SLATE QUARRY, MILL

Site Details



NPRN 408873

Map Reference SH64SE

Grid Reference SH6535644638

Unitary (Local) Authority Gwynedd

Old County Merioneth

Community Llanfrothen

Type of Site SLATE PROCESSING WORKS

Broad Class INDUSTRIAL

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Pant Mawr Slate Quarry was opened in the 1840s and operated in conjunction with Moelwyn Slate Quarry on the east side of Moelwyn Mawr. A series of thirteen levels with their attendant spoil heaps form a line across the hillside. From 1853 slates were carried by pack animals down Cwm Maesgwm. In 1863 a tramway (NPRN 408876) was constructed across the south-west face of Moelwyn Mawr to the head of a double-pitch incline (NPRN 408877 and 408878) falling 340 metres to Cwm Croesor where it joined the Croesor Tramway.
The mill was probably built in the 1850s on a terrace part-excavated and part supported by a massive retaining wall, at an altitude of 530 metres above sea level. The mill was built of roughly-squared country rock and measured 48 by 12 metres, but only fragments of its walls remain. Two inclines connected the mill level with some of the adits at a higher level (NPRN 408874), and to the 1863 tramway below (NPRN 408875). Pant Mawr was amalgamated with Fron Boeth Quarry (NPRN 408879) in 1886 and surface operations ceased.
W J Crompton, RCAHMW, 25 March 2009.

Associated Sites