Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MERTHYR TRAMROAD; PENYDARREN TRAMROAD

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 91513

Map Reference SO00NE

Grid Reference SO05120669

Unitary (Local) Authority Merthyr Tydfil

Old County Glamorgan

Community Penydarren

Type of Site TRAMWAY

Broad Class TRANSPORT

Period Post Medieval

Site Description 1. Merthyr Tramroad, sometimes referred to as the Penydarren Tramroad, ran from quarries near Morlais Castle via a junction on the Dowlais - Jackson's Wharf tramroad at SO 0512 0669 (at the present junction of Tramroadside North and Penydarren Road and now marked by the Trevithick Memorial (nprn 91516)) in Merthyr, to the Glamorganshire Canal basin at Abercynon (ST 0846 9493) where a commemorative plaque has been erected (nprn 400379). The tramroad is famous as the line on which Trevithick's engine ran on 21 February 1804, the first steam locomotive to pull a load on a railway. The Morlais Quarry section was built to supply Merthyr's Ironworks with limestone, and the Merthyr to Abercynon section to avoid the congested Glamorganshire Canal (nprn 34425).
(See: Mercer, S., Trevithick and the Merthyr Tramroad, in Transactions of the Newcomen Society, xxvi (1947-9), pp.89-103)
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 10 July 1998.
2. At ST 0806 9784, there is a stone revetment wall between the tramroad and the Taff Vale Railway embankment to the west.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 04 February 1992.

Archive Records

Associated Sites