Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DEINIOL'S CHURCH, WORTHENBURY

Site Details



NPRN 307972

Map Reference SJ44NW

Grid Reference SJ41894622

Unitary (Local) Authority Wrexham

Old County Flintshire

Community Willington Worthenbury

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St Deiniol's church, Worthenbury is a Georgian, brick built church, with Cefn Mawr sandstone features. Built 1736-9 by Richard Trubshaw, it consists of a nave, narrower chancel, apsidal sanctuary, and a 3-storey tower. It has a stained glass east window largely made up of medieval glass from the 1393 Jesse window at Winchester. The box-pews, mostly 18th century, have the crests of local families. The wooden gallery to the west end of chancel is on cast iron columns with a Royal coat-of arms to the front. A Georgian marble font rests on a stone baluster stem below. There is Rococo decoration to the chancel ceiling.
It is an exceptionally fine Georgian church with a remarkably complete set of interior fixtures and fittings, being one of the finest examples of its kind in the country. The church underwent large-scale repairs in 1951, which included re-roofing, due to damage by death watch beetle.

Source: CADW listed buildings database.

RCAHMW, 8 November 2007.

Archive Records