ST DEINIOL'S CHURCH, HAWARDEN
Map Reference SJ36NW
Grid Reference SJ31556592
Unitary (Local) Authority Flintshire
Old County Flintshire
Type of Site CHURCH
Broad Class Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Period Post Medieval
Site Description St Deiniol's church has its origins in the mid 14th century. It was restored by James Harrison c1855-6 but was largely gutted by fire in 1857. The church was restored in Decorated style by Sir Gilbert Scott of London and was completed in 1859. A south porch was added to the south chancel aisle by Douglas and Fordham of Chester in 1896, in memory of a son of W E Gladstone, the Prime Minister. The Gladstone memorial chapel was added to the N side of the chancel to receive effigies of W E Gladstone and his wife Catherine. By Douglas and Minshull of Chester it was built between 1901-3. A vestry range was added to the northeast in 1909, also by Douglas and Minshull. There are examples of fine Victorian stained glass by William Wailes, and further examples by Edward Frampton. The west window has glass by Sir Edward Burne-Jones (1898) set in complex flowing tracery, and depicting the Adoration of the Magi.
Resource: CADW listed buildings database.
RCAHMW, 7 November 2007.