Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST LLONIO'S CHURCH, LLANDINAM

Site Details



NPRN 406447

Map Reference SO08NW

Grid Reference SO02598855

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Llandinam

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St Llonio‚Äôs church is located in the village of Llandinam, five miles to the south west of Newtown.

Initially, the church was a clas structure with its western tower containing a pyramidal slate roof over a timber belfry, dating from the 13th Century. The majority of St Llonio's was rebuilt in the 19th Century, coinciding with the restoration. There are still examples of the church's original features, most notably the northern wall of the chancel.

Wooden reredos, two old tomb recesses in the sanctuary, damaged perpendicular font and a number of 17th Century carved choir stalls are all still held at the church. The square western tower is most likely dated from the 13th Century with its timber belfry designed in Marches style.

A rebuilding process took place which culminated in 1864-65 that left only the north wall of the chancel remaining from the previous design. During the restoration, new windows in square headed frames were inserted throughout the church and all the windows were replaced in neo-Gothic style.

M. Lloyd Davies, RCAHMW, 02 December 2008

Archive Records

Online Resources